Friday, July 13, 2018

OER Strategy - Part II - Document Collections

Over the years I have collected many hundreds of primary source documents and academic journal articles on a wide array of US history but with a focus on women, African American, and Mexican American history. I have made some of those available in the Canvas classes. Starting in the Fall I will put all of my documents and articles together into two ancillaries. One will be just about US women's history entitled "Arise All Women How Have Hearts." That is the title of a poem Julia Ward Howe wrote in 1870. Then I will all of my collected OER materials under the title "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About History But Were Afraid to Ask." That's a spin on the title of a 1972 Woody Allen movie.

I will then allow students to select anything from those ancillaries to read each week. That will mean, however, that I will need to create assignments that are sufficiently broad so that whatever students select to read can be used in successful completion of those assignments. Which means more work for me. Yikes!

Ultimately (before the Thanksgiving break is the goal) I want to put both of those ancillaries on PressBooks.


4 comments:

  1. Chioma Peter: Hist 1301-210299994.
    These collection of American history with a focus on women, African-American and Mexican-American is worth the while. Over the years, these are the neglected areas in our history . Little has been said on them. Hitherto, the focus has been on the high and mighty (e.g Martin Luther king Jr, Abraham Lincoln,etc) in the history of United states but the aforementioned groups although spoken less of are of immense importance because every contribution in History no matter from what angle you view it is of great importance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niloufer Sultan : History 1301

    Compiling all those articles into a single document does seem like a daunting task, but I think this is a great idea. Usually we students have a tough time trying to locate credible resources pertaining to history and it is difficult to pick something worth using as evidence. This seems to be a very organized technique to help students and I have used the articles myself for an assignment and can vouch for it. I was able to locate an article which I could use as evidence to support my thesis, fairly easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria Chapa-HIST 1301
    I read some of the documents under the module Arise All Women How Have Hearts the essays and articles are a great source of information. Especially with taking this class during summer and its time crunch having all these small stories do provide more information than the actual textbook. History is a subject that not everyone is interested in having the OER helps to understand the subject better and it keeps it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ezi Kalunta-Crumpton: HIST 1301

    I find the primary source documents and academic journal articles that you have uploaded to Canvas to be both useful and interesting. For the first monograph assignment in HIST 1301, we were required to utilize some of these sources in order to support our thesis. Having access to a wide array of sources on Canvas made the research that was required for this assignment very easy. I also appreciated how you provided a variety of sources that focus on the same/similar subjects so that students have many different sources to choose from when writing about a particular topic.

    ReplyDelete