Friday, July 13, 2018

OER Strategy - Part I - My Textbook

I am implementing an OER strategy, as opposed to just trying something here and something there. First, I am moving my US history ancillary from the Rice platform (OpenStax) where the book has been available since 2010 to PressBooks: https://ourstory.pressbooks.com/. I will be moving the material sometime before the Fall semester begins. The book covers US history to 1877 and so I will be able to use that resource in my Hist 1301 classes. I will assign a few chapters then ask for feedback from my students and rewrite as necessary. I have received much interest in the book on the Rice platform over the years from California to Sweden, but as a legacy author Rice does not promote the book and so people have a hard time finding the book. Heer is the URL for the book on the Rice site: https://cnx.org/contents/2IDlLfJX@8.2:kGr-4VFA@2

The other reason for the move to PressBooks is because the college' s OER program is trying to coordinate all OER to one platform. OER is part of the college's larger Z-Degree program:  http://www.hccs.edu/zdegree/.






3 comments:

  1. Chioma Peter- hist 1301.
    The movement of the book to press books would make it more accessible to students,I would encourage and support the movement as it would increase convenience to very important intellectual property in the form of our History.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chioma Peter- hist 1301:
    We however do hope that the movement of the book to press books would not incur an arbitrary and exorbitant increase in the cost to the detriment of the students. Too much cost can be a major disincentive factor and the purpose of OER would be defeated in the long run. Most students are highly dependent on their parents and are financially constrained.
    Regards//

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria Chapa- HIST 1301
    This is awesome Dr. Ross-Nazzal. I personally like to read out of the OER reading you have collected instead of the textbook. I have always found textbooks overprice and I sometimes wonder if professor even read the textbook themselves. The OER has articles and essays that help explain the history in a better manner than a textbook. I hope your version of a history textbook gets to publish and becomes part of history in classrooms.

    ReplyDelete