Friday, September 15, 2017

Harvey

I finished the OER textbook for Hist 1301. The book is currently undergoing peer review.

On August 1st I lined up the first four weeks of clothes for the semester.

On August 26th Hurricane Harvey hit the Texas coast. We were on the dirty side of the storm so Houston and its surroundings received around 50 inches of water. The west and north sides of Houston were particularly hit hard with intermittent damage to the south in Dickinson, Texas City, and Friendswood. The college postponed opening for two weeks.

I received emails from students who were in Red Cross shelters wanting to start the semester in order to have something positive in their lives. Tremendous excitement greeted everyone on the first of class, ironically on September 11th.







1 comment:

  1. Hurricane Harvey affected many people, specifically Houstonianas. I remember thinking about what life would be after the disasters that it caused. A hurricane can change the day to day life of any individual. I see how Dr JRN already had the first four weeks clothes ready for the semester but the future had something else planned. Houston is a city known for experiencing hurricanes and many other natural disasters. But Harvey had to be one of the worst ever experienced, many families lost their homes, jobs, their whole life. Schools, jobs, and everyone's life got paused. It is so hard knowing that many people were affected. Personally, I remember how I was also getting myself ready to start school again when I was going into the 10th grade. When Harvey had hit I was in my aunt's house, we had to go over there because we thought our house was going to get hit hard by the water levels. But thankfully it was safe, and we were able to go back after the storm. The only thing that happened was that we didn't have electricity for a few days. I hope your book release was successful! I am interested to know what you have exactly written about, hopefully I will be able to read it. It is interesting to find out how students were willing to start up soon in order to keep their minds busy. As a community I know there was a lot of help brought to those affected, which is a great thing because I know we all needed help from each other.

    ReplyDelete