Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Autonomy-Supportive Teaching

So there's this thing I've been doing called Autonomy-Supportive Teaching. I thought I invented it. I didn't name it. I'm not that bright or with it. Well, there is nothing new under the sun I guess. 

Here is what I've been doing. 

1. I've asked students to realize something or things in History that interest them. But something broad like gender, war, or pop culture. 

2. I ask them how they plan on demonstrating to me that they've learned about that aspect or those aspects of History.

3. I help them come up with readings. We have an OER textbook as an anchor. To give them context. But, I have a collection of 11 OER textbooks from which they may choose. 

Here's why I have been doing this. First, I like choice. I believe that people like choice and if people are allowed the freedom or room to make choices they are more likely to succeed. If they can create "their class" they are more likely to stick to that type of class.  

Second, I support ungrading, and therefore students will occasionally draft short essays reflecting, in a holistic manner and demonstrating metacognition, to give themselves their earned grade. Students should be the subjects, not the objects and thus I hand over control of grading to them. 

Finally, I enjoy a variety of ways to bring information to students (instead of lecturing) and so in a class that affords such wide choices, I am able to experiment.

The whole course is about experimentation. I experiment with the basic framework of the class. Students experiment with how they will demonstrate understanding of History. I am there to support their work. And together we create a space of mutual understanding and respect for our goals.  

Ultimately, I do not want to take my students by hand to the Promised Land. Nor do I want to even lead them there. First, their Promised Land might be different than mine. Second, their path or journey is theirs, not mine. They need to chart their own path. They need to figure things out themselves. And when real trust is there, they will come to me when they are stuck. 

Well, this is called Autonomy-Supportive Teaching. I did not know it was a thing. It is. And I guess I am an adherent of AST. I like it. Students like it. Like Jon Stolk says: Tools. Choices. Trust. Here he is:



No comments:

Post a Comment