Monday, June 4, 2018

Summer Semester is Upon Us!

With our Summer semester upon us, here is what I hope will be the evolution of my students’ thoughts about my class on the first day, by song title:

First day of class students are normally anxious, some to the extent of being, shall we say, freaked out, as Chic put it in Le Freak (Chic) which was released in 1978.



Between my no late work policy, my "Damn the torpedoes" attitude but self-effacing humor, after awhile students are on the fence. And ask themselves, Should I Stay or Should I Go? (The Clash), released in 1981.



And finally, after my first lecture (more like a vignette) they will understand how I will be able to lead them to the Promised Land and so they will raises their voices and collectively proclaim, Show Me The Way (Peter Frampton) released in 1975.





3 comments:

  1. Niloufer Sultan : History 1301

    I had literally freaked out the first time I picked your class. But one thing you had asked us to do is follow directions and your syllabus. I pretty much did exactly that and low and behold, reaped the rightful results. It's just the first assignment where the anxiety levels are soaring, and we keep questioning ourselves. Once I received my grade and your feedback, it became clear on how and what to improve. It was smooth sailing from there on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria Chapa HIST 1301
    I always freak-out when taking a class that is not my expertise. I did read your syllabus from last fall class before I decided to sign up for your class. What I liked was that you are a very straightforward professor. You provided your part of the information for all the assignments and expectations for the student to their part to complete the assignments. I wish more professors were like you sometimes I do ask myself how some professors became professors. I feel more relaxed now that I have turned in my first assignment. I’m looking forward to learning new material in the next weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ezi Kalunta-Crumpton: HIST 1301

    When I first enrolled in your course for the summer session, I was not very anxious as I genuinely enjoy history. However, when I read the syllabus that you had posted, I became a little nervous as I could tell that you are very precise about the course and expect your students to do their best on assignments. However, after reviewing the modules and lectures that you have posted on Canvas, I become more comfortable as I know that you will provide students with everything that they need to succeed. Therefore, I believe that I will achieve my desired grade in this course as long as I follow your directions.

    ReplyDelete